tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Millson" <...@atsga.com>
Subject RE: tomcat 4 + apache 1.3 + WarpConnection
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:18:51 GMT
I think this is another shortfall of the documentation. You can change the
Engine name to "Bob" and it will still work, at least if you don't use host
names and access via IP address. From reading the documentation, I get the
impression the Engine name property is only used for errors and logging id.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: John Wadkin [mailto:j.wadkin@hud.ac.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 9:06 AM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: tomcat 4 + apache 1.3 + WarpConnection

I've managed to get TomCat 4.0.1 and Apache 1.3 working with mod_WebApp/WARP
on Solaris 8. I didn't run into that many difficulties either! Does strike
me as odd that TC will work with and without a host. There'll no doubt be a
logical explanation :)

I've mentioned this before but...
The server.xml has this line:

<!-- Replace "localhost" with what your Apache "ServerName" is set to -->
    <Engine className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
     name="Apache" debug="0" appBase="webapps">

But there's no "localhost" to replace! In the "server-noexamples.xml.config"
file the line becomes:

<!-- Replace "localhost" with what your Apache "ServerName" is set to -->
    <Engine className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
     name="Apache" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps">

Which makes more sense!! When trying to interpret the documentation, this is
partly what swung it in favour of specifying <host> and defaultHost.

>>From the list, it seems that many people think that the <engine> name and
<host> name need to match, but they don't. In <engine> "name" is purely
logical, but in <host> it defines the name of the host - another area of
confusion! I.e. two attributes with the same name (i.e. name) but different
meanings.

Try http://localhost/examples/ i.e. put a slash on the end.

Thanks,

John