tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Tom Drake" <...@garlic.com>
Subject RE: Using Tomcat Without a Webserver
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2002 01:44:51 GMT
Apache also adds load balancing (via mod_jk).

-----Original Message-----
From: woon@SMI.Stanford.EDU [mailto:woon@SMI.Stanford.EDU]On Behalf Of
Mark Woon
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 5:11 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Using Tomcat Without a Webserver

Hi all.

I know it's standard practice to hook Tomcat up to a webserver, but is
this really necessary?  According to the docs, the main reason for this
is that Tomcat's performance when serving static files is sub-par,
although it usually goes on to note that this has improved recently.  I
can't seem to find anything on Tomcat 4.0x though, and I'm wondering if
this advice is outdated?  I thinking of using Tomcat only on a
production system with light to moderate traffic.  Almost all pages are
JSP's, so the only static content would be images.

So:  What's the word on running Tomcat 4.02 without a webserver?  What
does using Apache+Tomcat buy me?

Thanks,
-Mark