tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Kenneth Johnson" <johns...@gvsu.edu>
Subject Placing context root in public_html
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:56:43 GMT
I have tomcat installed as a standalone on my office computer and can successfully run servlets
when they are installed with the context root under the web-apps directory with the standard
deployment directory configuration.

In Chapter SRV 9. of Sun's Web Application specs they say,
     "A servlet container can establish rules for automatic generation of web applications.
For example a ~user/ mapping could be used to map to a web application based at /home/user/public_html/."

We cannot figure out how to do this. We have tomcat installed on a Linux system running under
Apache. I will be teaching a class using servlets. We would like to have the students establish
their context roots in a public_html directory in their own account. We have the servlet examples
that come with Tomcat setup in my public_html directory and I placed one of my servlets there
and successfully ran it by simply using the example's uri  www.ourdomain:8080/~johnsonk/servlet/ServletClassName
with my servlet's class name instead of one of the examples. The problem is that we cannot
get tomcat to run updated versions of that servlet. Even if I completely delete the servlet
class file it still runs the original version.

In server.xml we have the following entries that we believe are relevant

<Listener className="org.apache.catalina.startup..Userconfig"
      directoryName="public_html"
      userClass="org.apache.catalina.startup.PasswdUserDatabase"/>

<Context path="/johnsonk" docBase=/home/johnsonk/public_html" debug="0" reloadable="true"/>

What does the reloadable="true" imply? Are we missing something? What triggers reloading of
a new version of the servlet? In my standalone set up whenever I update the servlet it immediately
runs the new version. Is this because it is in the web-apps directory? Should the web.xml
file differ from the standard setup?