tomcat-users mailing list archives

From tmart...@csc.com
Subject getting init params without restarting tomcat 4.0.1
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:34:18 GMT
     Here is my situation.  I've inherited a bunch of servlets that used to
be deployed under JWS.  We are transitioning to Tomcat 4.0.1 on a Linux
platform.  Tomcat is run at the root level, where I do not have (and should
not have) access.  Many of my servlets, make use of initial parameters,
which to my understanding are placed in the local web.xml.  Unfortunately
when changes are made to web.xml files, they are not recognized until
Tomcat is restarted.  This means, I must bug the system administrator to
restart Tomcat, and for that matter Apache, which Tomcat runs under.
Besides, restarting web servers is not an ideal sort of situation anyway.
Is there another way around this?  I've been researching, because it seems
like this would be a fairly common issue, but to date have found nothing to
help me.  Have I completely missed some important documentation or some
basic servlet concept?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

tmarti34@csc.com