tomcat-users mailing list archives

Subject Re: web.xml Question
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:14:50 GMT

It's included in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib/servlet.jar.

                    Tom Bednarz
                    <list@bednarz        To:
                    .ch>                 cc:
                                         Subject:     web.xml Question
                    01:48 AM
                    respond to
                    "Tomcat Users

Hi everybody,

Usually the web.xml file of a web application starts with the following:

<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application

This URL referst to the dtd file on SUN's server. I think most XML parsers
like SAX need to read the dtd file to be able to parse the XML file.

What happens if I deploy an application on an Intranet which allows access
to the internet only through a proxy server (with username / password
authentication)? The dtd cannot be accessed and must be someware on the
local disk.

I found that TOMCAT has a web.xml in its conf directory. Could anybody
explain me, which XML files I need to change and where do I need to put the
downloaded web-app_2_3.dtd file?  Is the web.xml in the conf directory like
a parent to all web.xml files found under webapps\<application>\WEB-INF?
(Something like the defaults for all web apps)?

Could anybody help me out of this XML jungle?

Many thanks!

To unsubscribe:   <>
For additional commands: <>
Troubles with the list: <>