tomcat-users mailing list archives

From steve_ol...@illinoispower.com
Subject Tomcat 4.0.1, explicit context, bug 4829?
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2002 22:28:02 GMT
I think I'm hitting the situation described in bug 4829, and wanted to
confirm and see if anyone knows more status than what's in bugzilla. I also
wasn't sure whether this should be a tomact-dev post instead.

War files in the webapps directory expand fine at startup when the
underlying subdirectory does not exist and Tomcat is using the
DefaultContext stuff in server.xml.  However, with Tomcat stopped, if the
underlying subdirectory is deleted, and a Context entry for the war is
added to server.xml, and Tomcat is restarted, the war does not get expanded
(even though the owning Host in server.xml has unpackWARs="true"). The
context runs fine directly from the war.

Here's specifics:

WAR name is Cis.war, deployed in CATALINA_HOME\webapps.

server.xml has these lines added:

        <Context path="/Cis" docBase="Cis.war" override="true" reloadable
="true">
              prefix="Cis." suffix=".log"
            timestamp="true"/>
        </Context>

The doc and a couple of the bug reports indicate that this is known
behavior covered by 4829 and a couple of its dups. 4829 is REOPENED status,
does anyone know if this behavior is planned to be changed and if so what
the proposed behavior is?  I'd also be interested in what others think the
behavior oughta be...

For us the current behavior is fine for production deploys where we don't
typically care too much if the war is expanded because we do release-based
pushes of changes anyway.  But in a development environment it is nice to
be able to copy over individual classes/web resources from time to time,
and still redploy a new war from time to time too, all without having to
tweak server.xml.

Thanks in advance for any info...