tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Manish Bhatnagar" <man...@accord-soft.com>
Subject Excessive high usage of memory by Tomcat on NT
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 05:17:46 GMT
Hello all:
We are facing the problem of excessive memory usage by our
servlets (that call JNI functions). The memory usage seems
to touch 50+ MB in 2000 Server but it drops down to 30 MB
soon. But, this does not happen in NT. The memory keeps on
increasing and there is a point in time when Tomcat occupies
*all* the available memory.
We are taking care of *garbage collecting* the objects
frequently(by calling Runtime.gc()). Is there any other way
by which we can have some kind of control over the usage of
memory?
Do we have to install a patch for NT (if something like this
is available)?

NT Server:
----------
PIII 500 MHz, 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD

2000 Server:
------------
PIII 700 MHz, 128MB RAM, 20GB HDD

Tomcat:
-------
Version 3.2.1

JDK:
----
Sun's JDK 1.3

Any suggestions, pointers are appreciated.
Thanks
Manish