tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Andy Birchall" <andy.birch...@rchive-it.com>
Subject Using Tomcat without JDK
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:54:54 GMT
Does anyone know if its possible to use Tomcat with just the JRE rather than the JDK?

Because of licensing restrictions with distributing the Sun JDK,
we would like to distribute our servlet application with the JRE only.

I have tried to run Tomcat with the JRE rather than the JDK by setting
JAVA_HOME to the JRE home directory. When I run Tomcat and try to load
our startup servlet in the browser I get:
"Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet"

Our servlets are in jar files in <TOMCAT_HOME>\lib. We use servlets only, not JSP.
We are running Tomcat 3.2.3 on Win2000.

Does anyone know why Tomcat fails to find the HttpServlet?

Thanks
Andy Birchall