tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Laurent Féral-Pierssens <laurent-li...@distincthorizon.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Stability
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:50:07 GMT
Thanks to everyone for their tips. I will look into them all and try to
report what worked...

Regards,
Laurent

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurent Féral-Pierssens [mailto:laurent-lists@distincthorizon.com]
Sent: January 15, 2002 8:45 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Tomcat Stability

Hi,

We've been experiencing problems with stability recently. Every 2 weeks,
Tomcat crashes with 500 errors. We now have more information about what
happened the last time.

Our configuration is:
Tomcat 3.2.4 with Apache 1.3.20 and mod_jk
Linux Debian, PIII 1 GHz, 512 Megs of RAM, Raid 1

Basically there is only one webapp on the server that has a daily load of 40
000 Hits or 5 000 page views.

In the logs of Apache we've discovered that someone was using Htdig to index
the site, basically making one call every 5 sec for 45 minutes. That's were
and when tomcat crashes.

So my questions, should I ugrade the server's hardware? Would Tomcat 4
series be more stable? or would it be just a tomcat configuration problem?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Laurent