tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Marc Ostrow" <m...@twinquest.com>
Subject Location, Ownership, and File Permissions for production install of Catalina to be used with Apache (Unix)
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2002 18:07:58 GMT
I'm thinking that I will place the jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1 tree at /usr/local
and create a symbolic link named catalina to point there.  From a Unix
security point of view, I have the following questions:

1) Who should own (user and group) the jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1 tree and
symbolic link?
2) What permissions should be used throughout the tree?
3) Under what account should catalina run?

Actually, I will be installing Catalina on a PowerBook G4 Titanium running
Mac OS X.  On Mac OS X, the Apache tree is not rooted at /usr/local/apache,
it is spread throughout the system a bit.  Also, Apache's files are owned by
root:wheel and its out-of-the-box document root is owned by root:admin.  In
addition, Apache is configured to run as www:www.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Marc