tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Charles N. Harvey III" <charl...@alloy.com>
Subject RE: apache mod_auth and tomcat
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2002 22:45:35 GMT
You could completely disable the "Standalone" container in the server.xml.
Leave the warp-connected apache container and remove everything in the
standalone one.  Then there will be no port :8080.

That's just one idea though.

Charlie

-----Original Message-----
From: W. Wood Harter [mailto:wood@side8.com]
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2002 5:43 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: apache mod_auth and tomcat

I've searched the archives and didn't find how to use apache mod_auth
for basic authorization to protect tomcat pages. My problem is that
apache is on port 80 and tomcat is on 8080. If I protect a link at
http://myhost:80/myapp/ with Apache's mod_auth, a smart user could just
use http://myhost:8080/myapp.

Anyone know how to configure Tomcat to only speak with my Apache server?

If this is impossible, I guess I could use Tomcat, but I have a database
already populated with unix crypt passwords which work fine with
mod_auth_mysql. I don't want to have to change my password storage system.

Thanks,
Wood