tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Charles N. Harvey III" <charl...@alloy.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat with Apache
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2002 14:56:50 GMT
I run on windows for now (my desktop) but in a matter of days i will
move to redhat linux 7.2 for testing.  and soon enough that will
become my production environment.  so i will soon know if i can make
this work on linux and windows.  i'll paste a previous e-mail that
i wrote under this.

The $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml file is already setup the way it should
be.  There is a "Standalone" server instance and a "Tomcat-Apache" instance.
When you do $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh you will see both instances
starting up.

The second instance uses the Warp Connector to connect to Apache.  And it
connects to port 8008.  So what's happening is that Tomcat will server
its requests on 8080 for the Standalone.  But it will take java requests
from Apache on port 8008.  That's how they talk to each other.

The tough part is getting the Warp Connector module to work correctly.
There is libapr.dll, install.txt, license.txt and mod_webapp.so.
The install.txt is pretty clear on what to do.  Drop the .so file into
the correct directory (modules for windows and libexec for unix).
Then modify your httpd.conf in $APACHE_HOME/conf.

Add lines like these:

	LoadModule webapp_module libexec/mod_webapp.so

	AddModule mod_webapp.c

To their appropriate places.  Its pretty easy.  There are lines that look
just
like it but are usually commented out.  Just put these two underneath all
the others.

Then you map all your applications thusly:

	WebAppConnection conn      warp  localhost:8008
	WebAppDeploy     examples  conn  /examples

The install.txt does not tell you where to add this section, so I stuck it
under "ServerName" in httpd.conf.

Stop Apache and Tomcat.  Start Tomcat.  Start Apache.  Should work.
If not I'm not really sure because it all worked ok for me.  A big key
is that Tomcat always has to be started first.

For win32:
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.1/bin/win32
/
For linux:
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.1/bin/linux
/i386/
For Solaris:
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.1/bin/solar
is8/sparc/
If these links wrap sorry about that.
There is also a small description of what I am telling here in the
  /bin directory:
  http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.1/.

Enjoy.

Charlie Harvey