tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Duarte Loreto" <happyguy...@hotmail.com>
Subject Tomcat, threads and garbagecleaner: A question
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2002 01:45:43 GMT
   Hello!

I have a JSP page that instantiates an object. This instantiates another
one, as a thread. The thread is created and started on the same inline, and
I have no pointer to the thread.

My question is: when this thread finishes it's run(), does it get
garbagecleaned? The object that referenced it was created by a JSP page that
was already delivered to the client, so it should be, right?

I'm asking this as I have a server that, after some usage, starts to get
slow and then completly freezes, needing a restart. I suspect that there is
a memory leak somewhere, and this seems the most probable place.

If your answer is "the thread gets garbagecleaned, so look elsewhere for
your problem", I would appreciate help on how to analyse memory usage. I'm
clueless on this.

I'm using tomcat 3.2.3 and I run it on UNIX, with JDK1.3. If needed be, I
can put it to run on a Windows, if you tell me that THE tool to check for
the problem is windows-based

I appreciate your help. If you think that this question shouldn't be posted
here but rather on the devel list, please notify me.

Duarte "HappyGuy" Loreto

"Don't worry, be happy!"