tomcat-users mailing list archives

From August Gresens <>
Subject multiple JVM's, multiple ports Tomcat 4.1
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:31:38 GMT
Using the method described in the RUNNING.txt that comes with the Tomcat
installation, I'm trying to install multiple instances of Tomcat 4.1 on
a Linux server, so that multiple developers can work independently.

I'm running into some problems, however. Here is what I have done so

1. I copy the appropriate directories (conf, webapps, work, logs) from
the Tomcat installation into a directory in my user's home directory
called "tomcat"
1. I configure the CATALINA_BASE ENVIRONMENT for each user to be
2. In USER B's server.xml file, I change the port attribute of the
Connector element to be 8081 (not used by my machine).

With these changes, I am able to start USER A's configuration OK. When I
attempt to start USER B's I get the following error :

Error creating server socket: Address already
in use LifecycleException.

I believe this problem is caused by the fact that the second instance is
attempting to use the same port used for startup and shutdown as the
first. Does anyone know a way around this problem?

August Gresens
Director of Web Development
Black Hammer Productions, NYC

To unsubscribe:   <>