tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Charles Horan" <ctho...@sympatico.ca>
Subject RE: Tomcat 4.0.1 and Apache 1.3.22 on NT 4.0 Server: Install/Config
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2002 23:28:19 GMT
Dennis:

I am new to both apache and tomcat however I do know that only one of these
processes can bind Port 80. Whichever one starts first will get the port and
the other will fail.

Apparently you need to use the mod_webapp module for apache to connect to
tomcat through apache. I'm currently attempting just that.

Micheal Wentzel sent me the following URL to get mod_webapp

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0/bin/

I realize that this only responds to point 1 of your email, but hopefully it
helps some small amount.

Regards
Charles Horan

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis.Johnson@mail.sprint.com
[mailto:Dennis.Johnson@mail.sprint.com]
Sent: January 16, 2002 6:23 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: Tomcat 4.0.1 and Apache 1.3.22 on NT 4.0 Server:
Install/Config

Thanks for your reply, Rosh.

Further Questions:
(1) If both Apache and Tomcat are both running and both configured to
port 80, which
will handle a request?  Will Apache process html requests and Tomcat
process jsp
requests?
(2) I have Apache configured to return a custom page for 404 Error
unknown jsp request is submitted and Tomcat tries to process it, will
Tomcat then refer
processing back to Apache to report the 404 Error?
(3) The O'Reilly page, "Installing and Configuring Tomcat"
(http://www.onjava.com/lpt/a//onjava/2001/03/29/tomcat.html)
is for "installing Tomcat as a stand-alone server".  How is the
installation/configuration
different for running Tomcat WITH Apache?
(4) The Jyve FAQ instructions (mentioned in previous email below) says
to install
ApacheModuleJserv.dll in "d:\apache_root\modules\" (substituting drive
letter, etc.,
appropriately).  Is this also needed with the Apache/Tomcat 4.0.1
install?

Thanks again for any help provided!