tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff Prideaux" <jpride...@newlifetech.com>
Subject RE: Confusing basic concept about apache-tomcat works.
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:43:39 GMT
If you use port 8080 in the URL, Tomcat will handle everything and Apache
will be totally bypassed.

-----Original Message-----
From: if19011@students.if.itb.ac.id
[mailto:if19011@students.if.itb.ac.id]
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 1:04 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Confusing basic concept about apache-tomcat works.

I wonder what is the difference between using tomcat as stand alone web
server
and using tomcat as servlet/jsp engine and apache as web server ?

Can anyone tell me how can we sure that we have succeeded configuring
tomcat-
apache web server or how can we know that apache "really" do their job, not
tomcat do it alone.

What happen if client access this :

http://myserver:8080/somecontext/something.jsp

in the case :
 1. tomcat and apache work together with tomcat in port 8080 and apache in
port
80.
 2. tomcat work as standalone web server in port 8080.

Does the ":8080" means that the client directly serviced by something
waiting
in the port 8080 (in this case tomcat engine). if it is true, it means that
tomcat work by himself to accept request, process and give response to
client
connecting to port 8080.

How can we sure that apache get involved in this request ?

Thank you.