tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jim Dempsey <jim.demp...@netgear.com>
Subject mime type for Excel files
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2002 21:18:45 GMT
I am having a problem with Tomcat 4.0.1 serving Microsoft Excel files.
When Tomcat serves the static document to the client, the client does not
open up the file properly
(e.g. it displays binary data)

I have added the following mimetype to the conf/web.xml file and restarted
the server:
<mime-mapping>
    <extension>xls</extension>
    <mime-type>application/vnd.ms-excel</mime-type>
  </mime-mapping>

I have even tried using this configuration:
<mime-type>application/excel</mime-type>

But if I use Apache to serve the document, it works just fine.

Is there a special mimetype configuration for Microsoft Excel files for use
within Tomcat?
I have tried using Tomcat running on Windows2000, WindowsNT and Solaris.
The Client is using Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5