tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "James Pope" <james.p...@peramon.com>
Subject Tomcat 4.0.1: Manager web-app hangs on web-app reload request
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:21:28 GMT
Hello,

I've been having some trouble with Tomcat 4.0.1's Manager web-app, that
I think is related to memory issues... I noticed that when I used the
Manager web-app to reload one of my web-apps (using the
/manager/reload?path=/mywebapp request), Tomcat's memory footprint went
up by about a MB each time - as if garbage collection wasn't happening?

I spoke with some of our local Java "Gurus" and they suggested it might
be that garbage collection doesn't happen until Tomcat reaches it's max
memory allocation space (64 MB by default on Windows?). To test this, I
used Manager to reload my web-app about 20 times in a row, watching
Tomcat's memory footprint go up by about a MB each time, until it got to
just under 70,000 KB (according to Windows XP's Task Manager's Processes
tab), at which point Tomcat appeared to freeze when I tried issuing
another request to the Manager web-app.

The localhost_log.XXX.txt file informs me that:

2002-01-31 09:56:10 Manager: restart: Reloading web application at
'/website'
2002-01-31 09:56:10 StandardContext[/website]: Reloading this Context
has started

But nothing more... even in any of the other logs.

I've tried this a couple of times, with the same result, at the same
memory footprint.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, or have any ideas as to why
this is happening?

(I've tried calling System.gc() in the contextDestroyed method of my
ContextListener, after setting the current context = null, but still no
joy...)

Hoping to hear from someone soon ^_^

-- James Pope