tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Guido Medina <gmed...@mercantil.com.do>
Subject RE: Extending Standard Context
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2002 19:07:12 GMT
Oops, sorry, I was confused with HttpSessionListener that is new in Servlet
2.3, you know something, one month ago I couldn't answer many questions here
but I already read:

1) Tomcat 4.01 Documentation
2) Servlet 2.3 Spec
3) JSP 1.2 Spec

This is a very good experience, that's the surest way to learn,

Regards,

Guido.

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2002 2:32 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Extending Standard Context

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Guido Medina wrote:

> Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 08:51:44 -0400
> From: Guido Medina <gmedina@mercantil.com.do>
> To: 'Tomcat Users List' <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: Extending Standard Context
>
> I read in Servlet 2.3 Spec that LifecycleListener is also portable, the
same
> as ServletContextListener, Am I wrong ?, I guess not...

A simple rule to figure out what might be portable:

* Portable APIs start with "javax.servlet", non-portable APIs do not.

* Portable functionality is configured in web.xml, non-portable
  functionality is not (in Tomcat, the non-portable stuff is in
  server.xml).

Since the full classname of LifecycleListener is:

  org.apache.catalina.LifecycleListener

it becomes obvious that this is not portable to other servers :-).

However, the servlet API *does* include some stuff that is similar in
spirit to what LifecycleListener does inside Catalina -- in particular the
ServletContextListener and HttpSessionListener APIs let you be involved in
the "lifecycle" of web applications and HTTP sessions, respectively.
These APIs are portable across all containers that implement Servlet 2.3.

> Guido.

Craig McClanahan