tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Buus <Peter.B...@int.tele.dk>
Subject Retrieving client certificate in tomcat via warp from apache
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:24:42 GMT
Hi,

I have the following setup:

Apache 1.3.22+mod_ssl 2.5.8+mod_webapp1.1 talking to a Tomcat 4.0.1 via a
warp connector.

The Apache is requiring client certificates on a given URL which is then
sent to Tomcat via warp.
My question is now, how do I retrieve the SSL variables (eg.
SSL_CLIENT_CERT) from a servlet running on the Tomcat ?

Ideally, the SSL_CLIENT_CERT should be passed to Tomcat as a simple "dumb"
request attribute, since everything to do with authentication is handled by
my Apache+mod_ssl.
In case you're wondering why I need the SSL vars exposed in Tomcat, it needs
to be sent further on to another backend system. Therefore I do not
need/require Tomcat to do any sort of authentication of the client cert, but
retrieve it as a request attribute.

I've tried various combinations of server/web.xml configs, but it seems that
there is very little documentation which is applicable for my setup.

Thanks in advance!