tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jerry Jalenak" <Jerry.Jale...@LABONE.com>
Subject Use of Java Classes in .JSP fails under Tomcat 3.2
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2002 21:13:58 GMT
Hi All,

When I attempt to access methods defined in Java from a .JSP, I am receiving
a message that the method is not being found.  For example, I have been
testing with the following .JSP:

<%@page import="java.util.*, java.lang.*"%>
<%
		// Test

	String myString = "100" ;
	int myInt = parseInt(myString) ;
	out.println("myInt is " + myInt) ;

%>
	<head>
		<title>Simple Test of JAVA Classes</title>

When I run this .JSP under Tomcat 3.2, I am receiving the following message:

Error: 500
Location: /testapps/javaTest.jsp
Internal Servlet Error:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for
JSP/usr/tomcat/work/localhost_8080%2Ftestapps/_0002fjavaTest_0002ejspjavaTes
t_jsp_0.java:65: Method parseInt(java.lang.String) not found in class
_0002fjavaTest_0002ejspjavaTest_jsp_0.
                	int myInt = parseInt(myString) ;
                	                    ^
1 error

	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:254)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.doLoadJSP(JspServlet.java:462)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JasperLoader12.loadJSP(JasperLoader12.java:146)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.loadJSP(JspServlet.java:433)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(JspSe
rvlet.java:152)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.ja
va:164)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:318)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:391)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:404)
	at
	at
7)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:743)
	at
(Ajp12ConnectionHandler.java:166)
	at
	at
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

I have looked at the installation guides and FAQ's for Tomcat 3.2 concerning
the use of the Classpath environment variable, as well as the use of the
WEB-INF/classes directory.  Everything appears to be set up correctly on my
system, but I am sure there is something that I am missing
configuration-wise.

Thanks in advance for the help.  I'm getting tired of coding work-arounds
for the lack of these classes and methods!

This transmission (and any information attached to it) may be confidential and is intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the transmission to the intended
recipient, be advised that you have received this transmission in error and that any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this information is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify LabOne at (800)388-4675.