tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Randy Layman <randy.lay...@aswethink.com>
Subject RE: Jasper error
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 16:39:48 GMT

	First, packages don't have to be used, but since not using packages
can lead to problems (name collision and difficulty of finding anything),
they are strongly discouraged.

	WEB-INF\classes is where you put your individual class files (as in
not your JAR files).  For most applications this directory will have a few
other directories that will be the top level package.  Also any unpackaged
classes can go in this directory.  For example, if you had an unpackaged
class called UserData and a packaged class com.doradosoftware.UserData, your
classes directory would have a directory called com and a file
UserData.class.

	In your JSP, practically speaking you must somehow import every
class that your JSP page will use.  If the classes are in a package you can
do a com.doradosoftware.*, but if they aren't in a package then you must
specifically import each class individually.

	Randy

PS For the purpose of this email, packaged and unpackaged mean whether or
not the class file uses the package statement, not how the file might or
might not be bundled.