tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Randy Layman <randy.lay...@aswethink.com>
Subject RE: IIS or Apache
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:03:19 GMT

Not that I necessarily believe that IIS is the best choice, but the argument
has been pretty one sided so far so I thought I would give a little balance.

A major thing needs to be considered is Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
There have been a number of studies stating that one or the other is cheaper
to own.  In my opinion you want to go with what you know.  If the support
group knows Apache or IIS very well and the other in a limited or
non-existent capacity then you probably want to choose the one that your
support staff can work with.

Another thing to consider is the necessary level of security.  A totally
secure system is impossible to have and be useful.  You need to decide what
your level of risk versus reward is acceptable.  If the system is already
behind a firewall with no external exposure then you can probably afford to
be a little less stringent on the security.

> As well if you go for IIS you gonna have to patch and
> keep up with them fairly frequently (look at how many
> patches had been released for IIS in the last year),
> therefore it means more down time.

Two points here, first your company might already have other IIS systems and
you simply need to get your server on the list that needs patches when they
arrive.  Also, installing patches doesn't cause a lot of downtime (assuming
that the patch works correctly, which might be a big assumption).

> Apache is open source = if you find a bug that prevent
> your site to stay up or compromise it, providing that
> can code in C you can fix it there and then.
> With IIS pray that MS 1) can be asked to fix it 2) they
> do it quickly.

This, of course, assumes that you know C well enough to read the Apache
source, which is rather large.  Tracking down problems in a project that big
is very difficult.  You would probably be better off asking the Apache
developers to make the fix for you.  As this point you would probably get a
faster response from Apache, but some big corporations can make Microsoft
jump very quickly.

> If apache/Linux is good enough for amazon.com to commit
> there business on it why can't it be good enough for your
> boss?

Maybe because Amazon.com hasn't made any money (profit) yet?  Also Amazon's
level of risk tolerance might be different from another company's that would
change their choices.

	Again, I'm not advocating IIS over Apache, I just think the decision
is a little more complex that people have made it out to be so far.

	Randy