tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Randy Layman <>
Subject RE: Using Tomcat without JDK
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:29:08 GMT

Yes.  If you don't use JSP (or precompile all your JSPs into servlets) you
can distribute the JRE and Tomcat will work fine.

> Because of licensing restrictions with distributing the Sun JDK,
> we would like to distribute our servlet application with the JRE only.
> I have tried to run Tomcat with the JRE rather than the JDK by setting
> JAVA_HOME to the JRE home directory. When I run Tomcat and try to load
> our startup servlet in the browser I get:
> "Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet"
> Our servlets are in jar files in <TOMCAT_HOME>\lib. We use
> servlets only, not JSP.
> We are running Tomcat 3.2.3 on Win2000.
> Does anyone know why Tomcat fails to find the HttpServlet?

	1.  If you set your JAVA_HOME back to a JDK does Tomcat work fine
again?  If so its probably due to some jar files being in the
JAVA_HOME/lib/ext directory on one and not the other.
	2.  If not #1 then you probably want to check your TOMCAT_HOME/lib
and verify that the servlet.jar file is there.
	3.  If not #1 and #2 then post again with values for JAVA_HOME and
TOMCAT_HOME and we'll see where we can go from there.