tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ignacio J. Ortega" <na...@siapi.es>
Subject RE: JDBC Realm not working with NT service
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2002 23:43:26 GMT

When tomcat runs from command line ( or by double clicking startup.bat
), it uses the logged in user ( it seems your are using same kind of nt
or 2000) as the user for every other access from that program and thus
being able to use all the facilities of the deskop, and particularly the
registry..

Normally a service runs owned by user "system" that by default is not a
desktop user ( whatever name MS has for this i dont recall), that is
does not have access to every resource in the machine that needs
autentication , such as the registry, or network access..

So the solution is to change the user of the service to anyone with
desktop access, you can try first with "Administrator", and later when
you see it working create a dedicated user, with lower rights, for the
task of owning and running tomcat..

Saludos ,
Ignacio J. Ortega