tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Knutsen Jeffrey S" <KnutsenJeffr...@JohnDeere.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 4.0.1 with Servlet 2.2
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:30:47 GMT
Thanks all. Our problem is that we have a quite distributed developer
community, and we can not count our developers to constrain themselves to
the currently supported specs.  Because of an organizational directive, one
of our requirements is to maintain portability with our current WebSphere
environment, which only supports Servlet 2.2 (for the foreseeable future).
So I guess the best-easiest way around this problem is to use Tomcat 3.3a
for now, the migrate to 4.x in the future.  Thanks again everyone for the
help.

-- Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 10:24 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat 4.0.1 with Servlet 2.2

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Knutsen Jeffrey S wrote:

> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:36:42 -0600
> From: Knutsen Jeffrey S <KnutsenJeffreyS@JohnDeere.com>
> To: "'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Tomcat 4.0.1 with Servlet 2.2
>

> Our organization is new to Tomcat.  I am trying to decide between
installing
> Tomcat 3.3.x and the newer Tomcat 4.0.1.  I would like to use the latest
> version, however due to portability (and mostly political) considerations
> within our environment I am only able to support the Servlet 2.2 and JSP
1.1
> specs at this time.
>
> Is it possible to install Tomcat 4.0.1, yet configure the server to only
> support the older spec levels?  If it is not configurable, would replacing
> the servlet.jar file with an older version (perhaps the one from Tomcat
> 3.3.x) work to accomplish this goal?  Would there be any other obvious
> ramifications to this action?  Am I missing any other obvious issues or
> alternatives?

One thing that might be an "obvious issue" is that Servlet 2.3/JSP 1.2
containers are required, by the specifications, to support web
applications written to the Servlet 2.2/JSP 1.1 specification
requirements.  If you've written your application to those specs, and are
not relying on unspecified behavior (or bugs) in your container, then your
app will be perfectly portable.

Trying to do things like changing the servlet.jar file without changing
anything else is like trying to run diesel fuel through a car that has a
gasoline engine -- it's not going to work :-).

> Thank you very much.
>
> -- Jeff

Craig