tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Anton Brazhnyk <a.brazh...@biconsulting.ws>
Subject RE: Context in server.xml or not?
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:19:33 GMT
Hi,

Yes you must, and if you have serious intentions on Servlets than here is
link you should visit http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/
It is Servlet 2.3 Specification you can find more details about
web applications and WEB-INF at.

> Well, i'm doing so and i'm ALSO adding my context in the server.xml.
>
> Question:
> Must I have a context in server.xml AND a descriptor?

No, not necessary if you don't need to customize default behavior.

> When I do have both I get this error message in the logfile:
>
> ###
> Error initializing resources: Document base
> /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/webapps/XXX does not exist or is
> not a readable directory
> ###
>
> When I remove the context entry from the server.xml it all works fine !!!
>
> So my friends, wich is it... both or one of them?

It looks like docBase attribute in your server.xml is set incorrectly.
So, try http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/context.html
or http://localhost:8080/tomcat-docs/config/context.html
to find how to setup Tomcat to search for your app in path that differs
from default one.

> Many thanx.
> Cheers

I hope it helps.