tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Fredrik Westermarck <>
Subject Re: JNDIRealm
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:06:36 GMT
John Holman wrote:
> JNDIRealm works by retrieving the password from the directory server and
> comparing it explicitly with the value given by
> the user. Unfortunately AFAIK this mode of operation will not work with
> eDirectory.

Reading the Realm HOWTO again made me realize that... Why would anyone
want the Realm to get the password from the server instead of doing a
simple LDAP bind?

> There have been proposals (e.g. from me) to enhance JNDIRealm to allow it
> to authenticate the user by binding to the directory server, in the same
> way as auth_ldap. This should work with eDirectory, but isn't available yet.

Have the proposal been approved by the Tomcat developers, and are there
any people working on this issue?

Fredrik Westermarck

To unsubscribe:   <>
For additional commands: <>