tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jean-Luc BEAUDET <>
Subject Re: mod_webapp error
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2002 14:38:19 GMT a écrit :

> Unfortunately I did not get Apache and Tomcat connected. I found that for
> my needs just using Tomcat and removing Apache was the best option. I
> started to setup the mod_jk, but stopped when I decided to just use Tomcat
> only. For the most part I found that web app mod was just not ready for
> production. I found nothing on why it wouldn't work for me and the person
> that made it was not working on it anymore. That's just what I found out.
> This may not be the case, but like all of you I could not find any help. I
> didn't find several sources  that said jk_mod was the best option at the
> time. It was by far more reliable. I also figured that if over 50% of my
> accesses were to Tomcat then it would most likely be a greater benefit to
> bypass Apache and just access Tomcat directly. Why add that extra step of
> going through Apache to get to Tomcat. I currently have several web
> applications that I've developed running on Tomcat. Their not in production
> yet, but they should be within the month. So far I have had no problems
> with the Tomcat only setup. Well, that was the short version of what I
> discovered while trying to use the mod_webapp. But just to give you a
> picture, since I'm a professional Java developer if I can't find it already
> made with Java then I have the option of just developing it myself. Some of
> you may just be using Tomcat to run a web application that you have, but
> you may not be a Java developer.
> Thank You,
> Justin A. Stanczak
> Web Manager
> Shake Learning Resource Center
> Vincennes University
> (812)888-5813
>                     Frank Ng
>                     <flankan@pado.       To:
>                     net>                 cc:
>                                          Subject:     mod_webapp error
>                     01/25/2002
>                     07:47 PM
> Dear Justin,
> I am sorry to bother you but I read your post on the tomcat list,
> just wondering if you ever got apache and tomcat to work?  I
> am currently having the same problem, but no one seems to have
> any idea what's going on, since you were having the same problem
> back in dec, did you ever find a solution to your problem?
> Any help would be great!
> Thanks!
> -Frank

If i well understand, yu've got pb with

SOLARIS 8 7/01
Apache 1.3.2x
Tomcat 4.0.1
mod_webapp binded to the correct Tomcat's Rel.

Well, i made exactly the same versions runnin'.

Each time i got pb for compiling and it was a real mess to go out of them.

Finally, i tetsed the following:
- Apache 1.3.22
- Tomcat 4.0.2-b2
- The correct mod_webapp for Tomcat 4.0.2-b2

I compiled all by my own with

Reading specs from /opt/sfw/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.3/specs
gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)

Installed the following in /opt/Java_Classes:

in /opt

For Apache 1.3.22 i did:

# Installation de Apache 1.3.22

# Declaration des options

cd ./apache_1.3.22 && clear

# LIBS='-lpthread' \

CC='gcc' CXX='gcc' \
./configure \
--verbose \
--prefix=/usr/local/Apache_EAPI \
--with-perl=/usr/local/bin/perl \
--enable-module=all \
--enable-shared=max  \

 make test
 make install
 make distclean

Conforming to the /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.2-b2-src/BUILDING.txt
i made a 'compltete binary distribution' with:

ant -projecthelp

Modified the

and entered
ant dist

Last of all i build mod_webapp connector:

./configure --with-apxs=/usr/lib/Apache/bin/apxs --with-java=/usr/j2se

And it's still working good.

Hope this'll help

Jean-Luc B :O)

To unsubscribe:   <>