tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tom Oinn <...@ebi.ac.uk>
Subject Re: bug?? linux7.1 & tomcat4.0.1
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2002 22:05:31 GMT

Dean Hiller wrote:

> I have
> redhat linux 7.1
> jdk1.3.1_02
> tomcat 4.0.1
>
> tomcat works, BUT all images come across corrupted on IE and netscape.  Is there a bugfix/work
around to fix this problem.

I believe this is covered elsewhere on the list, recently, and has
something to do with the glibc version supplied with this version of
redhat.

> Also, why does the jdk have to be installed?  Why can't we just use the JRE?

The JDK is needed because the JRE doesn't include a compiler, and
tomcat needs one to compile the servlets generated from jsp files. You
might in theory be able to run it with the JRE if you added the
appropriate jar files.

> One more thing is the DOCS should mention that tomcat on linux is run on port 8180 NOT
8080 after installation.  Of course, I am using the tomcat from the rpm directory not the
bin directory on the website.

I can't comment on this, but I would suggest that anyone running a
server should examine the configuration /before/ starting it for the
first time. Had you done this, it would have been apparent which ports
were in use. Besides which, the initial configuration also provides
quite reasonable documentation on the possible config options, so
there are other reasons to want to look at it.

Cheers,

Tom