tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hans Schlenker <hans.schlen...@first.fraunhofer.de>
Subject Re: Asynchronous messages from servlets
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:04:20 GMT
Ronald Wildenberg wrote:

> What I need is a way to push the response to the browser. I
> would like the server to take the initiative in updating the browser
> window, not the user. Is this possible in any way?

No way. HTTP is a pull-mechanism: information is always requested by the
client. Solutions: push a mail to the user or let the generated HTML
page repeatedly update itself.

The latter is an HTTP/HTML feature that is not part of the W3C standards
but works quite well with most standard browsers, nevertheless. Add
to your HTML page header, and the browser will replace the page after
five seconds by the one specified in the URL.

Regards,

Hans