tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ronald Wildenberg <ron...@tryllian.com>
Subject Asynchronous messages from servlets
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 08:50:14 GMT
Hi,

I have the following problem. A simple form submits data
to a servlet. The servlet sends a message via JMS to
another application (in another JVM). Once the message
has been sent, the 'service' method of the servlet ends.
After a while, say five seconds, the other application would
like to send back a response. How do I show this response
to the user?

Since the 'service' method has finished after sending the
message, I have lost control over the output from the other
application.

What I need is a way to push the response to the browser. I
would like the server to take the initiative in updating the browser
window, not the user. Is this possible in any way?

Thanks in advance,
Ronald Wildenberg