tomcat-users mailing list archives

From pixel <pi...@pixelfreak.net>
Subject Re: IIS or Apache
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2002 18:25:44 GMT
One of the problems i've run into with open source servers on Windows is
getting binaries for many of the common tools, servers and dlls required
for Win32, such as connectors for Tomcat, OpenSSL for SSL on Apache, etc.

We don't have Visual Studio here, which i'm finding is quite important
if you want to build tools, keep up with bug fixes, etc.

If you can complile the binaries yourself, your OK.. but i'm finding
it's kind of hit and miss when you depend on others to compile the
latest versions for you.

Hopefully this situation will improve when Apache 2.0 is finaly
released. Personaly, I'm waiting for 2.0 before attempting to move from
Netscape/iPlanet to Apache. I have, and always will avoid IIS....unless
it is an absolute requrement a client.

~Scott