tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Christopher K. St. John" <...@distributopia.com>
Subject Re: Servlet deployment without using web.xml?!
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:10:04 GMT
"Thomas Ã…hlen" wrote:

> 1. First I define one servlet(Controller) in the web.xml file
> 2. I want my Controller servlet to be able to add and remove
> servlets(modules) from the application context.
> Is this possible? I would see no reason to why there couldn't be some
> interface between Tomcat and my servlet that could do this.

 Have you considered having your controller servlet dispatch
to regular old Java code instead of to other servlets? That
way you can have full control and still stay within the
servlet spec.

 Otherwise, you're going to have to dig into Tomcat's
internals. Which is nonportable but fun. Assuming you want
to mess with Tomcat 4 and haven't already got the source,
go online and browse the code through CVS. Take a look at
org.apache.catalina.servlets.InvokerServlet and org.apache
catalina.core.StandardContext. That's what your up against.

--
Christopher St. John cks@distributopia.com
DistribuTopia http://www.distributopia.com