tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Steve <stevesuse...@yahoo.com>
Subject Tomcat 4.0.1 : What do these environmental variables mean?
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2002 03:22:55 GMT
Hi;

I was looking through catalina.sh and I want to confirm that I
understand what these environmental variables.

When I say "Tomcat" I am refering to the absolute path on my system (
Suse Linux 7.2 ) ending with a directory called "Tomcat" which contains
all of the subdirectories for Tomcat 4.0.1

CATALINA_BASE (Optional) Base directory for resolving dynamic portions
               of a Catalina installation.  If not present, resolves to
               the same directory that CATALINA_HOME points to.

Tomcat/bin ???

CATALINA_HOME (Optional) May point at your Catalina "build" directory.
               If not present, the current working directory is assumed.
Tomcat or Tomcat/bin ???

CATALINA_OPTS (Optional) Java runtime options used when the "start",
               "stop", or "run" command is executed.
What are these "start, stop or run" commands.  Are these commands for
running tomcat in stand alone mode or as windows service?

Thanks in advance

Steve

The Java Resource Dump
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/Java/index.html