tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jim <bolt...@pacbell.net>
Subject Timeout problem with Tomcat when used with JSSE and Apache?
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2002 23:05:57 GMT
I am getting an unexpected error when using Tomcat  with JSSE and
Apache.

Initially, servlets run fine, but after approximately 1 hour, an error
message box appears and the server exits. The message box disappears
quickly, but it indicates an "unexpected java.exe" error. This problem
occurs when there has been no activity on the Tomcat server (after the
servlets were accessed successfully).

This situation only occurs when using an SSL connection to a servlet.
When Tomcat is run with Apache and the same servlet(s) are accessed with
HTTP, the symptoms do not occur.

I am running Apache 1.3.2 with Tomcat 4.0.1 and JSSE 1.0.2 on
Window2000Pro.  The problem only began to occur after I downloaded and
started using JSSE. Prior to that, all servlets ran fine either from
standalone Tomcat, or when used in conjunction with Apache. With the
JSSE,  I have generated my own certificate for test purposes and
authentication/encryption appear to work fine.

I've checked the Catalina logs, the Apache logs the documentation and
the archives, but haven't found anything that helps to resolve the
problem.

Can someone give me a pointer?

Thanks,

Jim