tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Denny Chambers <dchamb...@snapserver.com>
Subject Re: Difference: TOMCAT and APACHE
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2002 14:14:12 GMT
You can use Tomcat alone, as a stand alone web server, serving up static
html, jsp, servlets. I believe that you can even run your cgi (shell
scripts, batch files, c programs, perl) through a standalone Tomcat
server. Even SSI is available. The reason that you would want to connect
Tomcat with Apache or IIS, is mostly for performance. Apache and IIS are
still better at serving up static content than Tomcat. If your site will
need to handle thousands of request a second, both static and dynamic,
you may want to pair up your Tomcat server with Apache or IIS, so that
these server can off load some of the burdon of serving up the static
content, and just let Tomcat handle your dynamic stuff. As far as
documentation to show you how to do this, the Tomcat web site and this
list are some of your best options.

HTH,
Denny