tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Anton Brazhnyk <a.brazh...@biconsulting.ws>
Subject Re: mod_webapp and php
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:13:24 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nikola Milutinovic" <Nikola.Milutinovic@ev.co.yu>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 8:36 AM
Subject: Re: mod_webapp and php

> > It seems to me I've read it somewhere in tomcat-dev mail list archives.
> > I'm positive on Apache servicing the static content even inside context
> > mentioned in WebAppDeploy
>
> No way. Apache can serve only what is inside it's defined DocumentRoot-s.
> Suppose Tomcat was on one host and Apache on other, connected via
> Warp (it can be done), how would Apache serve *.html from within Tomcat,
> if not through Warp?
>
> Nix.

Yeah, its interesting question, maybe for Tomcat developers to come up,
besides its marked as FIXME to add some info about the way mod_webapp
work behind the scene. :))

but:

RELEASE-NOTES-4.0-B7.txt
---------------------
Tomcat 4.0 and Apache:
---------------------

The binary distribution for Tomcat 4.0 includes the most recent stable version
of the WARP connector, which is the Tomcat component that talks to mod_webapp
inside Apache 1.3.  The current state of this support is summarized as follows:

* The mod_webapp connector is configured based on the contents of the
  web.xml file for your web application.  The only required per-webapp
  configuration information in your Apache 1.3 httpd.conf file is
  something like this:

    WebAppDeploy examples   warpConnection   /examples/

  which causes mod_webapp to automatically recognize all of your servlet
  mappings, security constraints, and other configuration elements.

* Currently, mod_webapp forwards *all* requests under the specified
  context path to Tomcat for processing.  When Tomcat 4.0 final is released,
  it will automatically configure itself to serve static resources
  from Apache *unless* the resource is subject to filtering, or subject
  to a security constraint, as defined in web.xml.  No extra configuration
  in httpd.conf will be required.

and:

RELEASE-NOTES-4.1-dev.txt
Tomcat 4.0 and Apache:

The binary distribution for Tomcat 4.0 includes the most recent stable version
of the WARP connector, which is the Tomcat component that talks to mod_webapp
inside Apache 1.3.  The current state of this support is summarized as follows:

* The mod_webapp connector is configured based on the contents of the
  web.xml file for your web application.  See the documentation included
  with the connector for configuration requirements.

Anton