tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "PELOQUIN,JEFFREY (Non-HP-Boise,ex1)" <jeffrey_peloq...@non.hp.com>
Subject RE: Building mod_webapp on Solaris 7
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2002 21:48:59 GMT
I have noticed on HP-UX that the variables set to "" do not work with
/usr/bin/test and I get similar error to what you report.

for example VAR=""

will not work with test -z $VAR

even though -z is meant to test for a zero length string.
for places you get /usr/bin/test[8]: apr: unknown test operator you may want
to check and
see if the variable is "" and rewrite the if statement by appending a
character to the variable in question to make it non-zero length

for example if test -z $VAR becomes if ["X"$VAR == "X"]

this is technique appears to be done in the configure file for apache to
make it
more robust but is not done for mod_webapp.

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Thad Humphries [mailto:thad@mindwrap.com]
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 2:27 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Building mod_webapp on Solaris 7

I am trying to build mod_webapp.so for Solaris 7 (the mod_webapp Solaris
8 binary fails with library error on 7).  I've tried both mod_webapp 4.0
and 4.01 but get the same errors.  Can anyone help me?

BTW, I found *no* configure script in the 4.01 source to I've tried the
one from 4.0.  Also, I loaded this SPARC box with the latest Gnu tools
(gawk, m4, libtools, etc.) from http://www.sunfreeware.com/.

I start with a fresh build of Apache 1.3.22 using

./configure --shadow=/home/thad/apache_1.3.22.basic \
        --enable-module=most \
        --enable-shared=max

I then cd to my webapp-module directory and run

./configure \
--with-apxs=/home/thad/apache_1.3.22.basic/src.sun4u-sun-solaris2.270/suppor
t/apxs

which seems to run okay except (1) here are a number of "APR configure:
" blanks and (2) near the end I see

    Finishing up
    checking for APR compilation flags... ok
    checking for Makefile targets... /usr/bin/test[8]: lib: unknown test
    operator
    /usr/bin/test[8]: apr: unknown test operator
    lib apr apache-1.3
    creating ./config.status
    creating ./Makefile
    creating ./Makedefs
    creating ./lib/Makefile
    creating ./java/Constants.java
    creating ./apache-1.3/Makefile

    All done. Now you can issue "make". Good luck.

So there appears to be some problem.  Make fails utterly:

$ make

make[]: Entering directory "lib"
make[]: Invoking "make  build"
make[]: Generating "pr_warp_defs.h" from
"/home/thad/webapp-module-1.0.1-tc401/j
ava/Constants.java"
sh: LIBTOOL@: not found
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `wa_main.lo'
Current working directory /home/thad/webapp-module-1.0.1-tc401/lib
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `template'
Current working directory /home/thad/webapp-module-1.0.1-tc401
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `lib-build'

Any ideas?  It doesn't seem that the Makefile built correctly. I see
several line like

@$(MAKE) template MFLG="$(MAKEFLAGS)" MDIR="$(APR_SRCDIR)" MTGT="all"

There is no 'template' target that I see. Shouldn't 'template' be the
name of something?  (Sometimes I think makefiles are like virgin
birth--too complex to understand to just accept them.)