tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jonathan C. Detert" <dete...@msoe.edu>
Subject Re: how to deploy WebApps in apache's UserDir's ?
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2002 18:34:16 GMT
* Craig R. McClanahan <craigmcc@apache.org> [020109 16:15]:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Jonathan C. Detert wrote:
>
> > [snip]
>
> > > For more info, see the "Host" page in:
> > >
> > >   http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/
> >
> > I like this choice.  I followed the directions in the above URL, and
> > restarted tomcat.  However, I get tomcat's 404 error when i try to
> > access something like http://my.server.name:8080/~detertj/ or anything
> > underneath it.  Tomcat's logs reveal nothing more than that.
> >
> > Precisely, here's what i did:
> > in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml, inside the "localhost" <Host>
> > container, inside the "Standalone" <Engine> container, inside the
> > "Tomcat-Standalone" <Service> containter, I added this tag:
> >
> >         <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.startup.UserConfig"
> >                   directoryName="www"
> >                   userClass="org.apache.catalina.startup.PasswdUserDatabase"/>
> >
> > I also tried specifying the homebase like so :
> >
> >         <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.startup.UserConfig"
> >                   directoryName="www"
> >                   homeBase="/home/staff"
> >                   userClass="org.apache.catalina.startup.HomesUserDatabase"/>
> >
> > Neither way worked.  The server is an NIS client, and so the /etc/passwd
> > file (normally) has no information about 'detertj' in it.  To test whether
> > that was the problem, i added a full record in /etc/passwd for 'detertj',
> > but it didn't help.
> >

> Using the "PasswdUserDatabase" option won't work at all for an NIS client
> -- it wants to be able to read the *actual* user information from
> "/etc/passwd" so that it can locate all of the user home directories.

But I _did_ make an entry for my username in the password file as a test, and
it still didn't work.  I found out why just now - Cuz I didn't run 'pwconv',
and so my account wasn't reflected in /etc/shadow, and so wasn't a legitimate
account.

> For both options (but this might cause the homeBase approach to fail in
> particular), you need to make sure that the operating system username
> under which Tomcat is running has at least read and execute access to the
> home directory and the actual webapp directory (in your case, this would

Bingo!  My homebase dir was executable but not readable.  It's weird
that apache is satisfied that way, but tomcat wants more.
Oh well, you solved the problem.  Thanks!