tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jonathan C. Detert" <dete...@msoe.edu>
Subject how to deploy WebApps in apache's UserDir's ?
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 23:13:05 GMT
Hello All,

I've got apache and tomcat working together successfully, arriving at
this state by doing this :

        I downloaded the binary jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1.tar.gz and
        webapp-module-1.0-tc40-linux-glibc2.2.tar.gz from jakarta.apache.org.
        I've installed them, and followed the directions in the INSTALL.txt that
        came with the later in order to instruct apache how/when to hand-off
        requests to tomcat.

All good so far.

The sole purpose of the apache server in question is to serve user directories
(i.e. using the UserDir directive from the mod_userdir module).

I want to enable each user to create his own JSP's and servlets.

So, my question is, what's the best way to do this?

My understanding is this:

- tomcat knows that it can serve stuff found in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps

- i tell apache to hand stuff to tomcat via lines like

        WebAppDeploy newstufftodeploy localconn /newstufftodeploy

  and there must be a dir
  $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/newstufftodeploy/WEB-INF/classes/
  for this to work.

But how do I tell apache & tomcat that I have a webapps directory that's
not in $CATALINA_HOME ?

E.g. I'd like to tell apache that a request like
http://my.apacheserver.name/~detertj/myexamples/servlet/HelloWorld
is to be handed off to tomcat, and then, of course, I'd like tomcat to
know where this is (cuz it's not gonna be in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps) ?

ATdHvAaNnKcSe,

Jon Detert
Unix System Administrator, Milwaukee School of Engineering
1025 N. Broadway, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202