tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: how to keep generated java files
Date Sat, 05 Jan 2002 19:22:02 GMT

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, James Thornley wrote:

> Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 07:41:05 -0800 (PST)
> From: James Thornley <jamnshelly@yahoo.com>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: how to keep generated java files
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm just setting up a jboss/catalina application using
> jsp/servlets and ejb's. It's having a problem running
> a jsp and I'd like to see the java code it has
> generated. I know I need to set keepgenerated=true, as
> I have found this in the javadocs, but does anyone
> know:
>
> 1. In which config file I need to put this parameter,
> and what the xml tags will look like.

For Tomcat 4, it's in the "$CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml" file, which sets
the global characteristics for all web applications.  Check out the
servlet initialization parameters for the "jsp" servlet.

The default value is "true", so you don't have to change anything.

> 2. Where the generated java files will end up.

For each web application, these sources are stored in the temporary work
directory that Catalina provides.  If you don't do anything special, this
will be "$CATALINA_HOME/work/{host-name}/{webapp-name}".  The filenames
there will be a slightly mangled version of the JSP page names, but they
are easy to match up.

> Alternatively, if anyone can point me to some
> documentation covering this I'll happily look it up
> myself.

Right now, the stuff in "conf/web.xml" is only documented in comments in
that file.  It needs to be integrated into the overall documentation
package.

> Thanks in advance for any help
>
> James Thornley

Craig