tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 3.3 classpath omissions?
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2002 20:46:25 GMT

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Eric Hansen wrote:

> Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 11:34:10 -0800
> From: Eric Hansen <ephansen@pacbell.net>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: 3.3 classpath omissions?
>
> I've been using 3.2.3... and am now trying 3.3.  When I startup Tomcat, in the text that
writes to the screen, there is only one file listed in the classpath (bin/../lib/tomcat.jar)
 I am used to seeing a whole bunch of files - including my webapps application classes.

> Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Not reading the documentation.

Both Tomcat 3.3 and 4.0 have implemented a different philosophy about how
to deal with shared JAR files -- they must go in a particular directory,
and the user's CLASSPATH variable is totally ignored at startup time
(which is a very good thing -- CLASSPATH caused way too much grief for
Tomcat 3.2 users).  I don't know where the 3.3 docs are about this, but in
4.0 they are at:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html

> Thanks,
> Eric Hansen