tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: tomcat root context
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2002 18:05:28 GMT

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Scott Eade wrote:

> Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 20:22:13 +1100
> From: Scott Eade <seade@backstagetech.com.au>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: tomcat root context
>
> The server.xml provided with tomcat 4.01 includes:
>
>         <!-- Tomcat Root Context -->
>         <!--
>           <Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0"/>
>         -->
>
> and yet the files in webapps/ROOT are server up when the url
> http://localhost:8080 is used regardless of the fact that the Context
> element above is commented out.
>
> Does this mean that "ROOT" has special significance and it is
> hardcoded somewhere or am I missing something in a config
> file that instructs tomcat to use this as the default context?

All directories in the "webapps" directory are automatically recognized
and installed as web applications, using the directory name to create the
context path.  This is why your root webapp gets created even with this
entry commented out -- it just receives default configuration values.

The name "ROOT" is indeed recognized specially as the webapp that will be
attached to the context path "" (i.e. a zero-length string).  This webapp
will process all requests that are not matched to any other context path.

> Thanks,
>
> Scott

Craig