tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Hawkins, Keith (Keith)" <kphawk...@avaya.com>
Subject servlet to servlet SSL problem - MalformedURLException
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2002 15:24:39 GMT

I am running Tomcat3.2 and IIS using the isapi_redirector.

I have a class for sending Https messages called HttpsMessage.  (This
class sets up the com.sun.net.ssl.internal.www.protocol provider into
the Java Security class so that URL classes with https can be
constructed without getting an MalformedURLException.  )

If I use this HttpsMessage class to access a servlet directly from a
client program,  the request is served properly.

BUT if this class is used by one servlet to contact the very same
servlet that the client program accessed,  a MalformedURLException is
thrown complaining about  "unknown protocol: https"

I suspect that this is because in the first instance,  IIS is handling
the SSL hand shaking before the request is forwarded to the servlet
whereas in the second case Tomcat needs to provide the SSL support.

I am correct?  If so,  would configuring Tomcat for SSL support fix the
problem?

Thanks,
Keith