tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Terrence Beard <t_be...@samasher.com>
Subject Converting Tomcat 3.2 to 4.0 with IIS 4
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2002 17:44:23 GMT
Hello all!

Here's what we've got: WinNT 4SP6 running IIS 4. We support several seperate
web sites via IIS (couple internal, several external). The source for each
is kept on a seperate directory path, different from the Tomcat path. The
JSP pages are being serviced by Tomcat 3.2.

Here's the question: we would like to upgrade to Tomcat 4.0 (Catalina?).
We've download the software, and installed it. We've also got the latest
JDK. We can get Tomcat 4 service running, and the localhost examples work.
We can even get the isapi_redirect.dll "green arrow" through IIS. The
problem is the contexts. To get Tomcat 3.2 to recognize the different paths
for the different sites, we had to define new Context tags in the server.xml
file for each one. So, a site has a context "foo" which is pointed at the
path for that site. Then we invoke the files via url such as
"www.foo.com/foo/file.jsp". These contexts are of course "defined" in the
uriworkermap.properties file under conf directory.

However, according the docs I've read on Tomcat 4, it should be a simple
matter of putting the entries in the uriworkermap conf file and running.
This apparently does not work (says it can't find the files). Moreover, the
server.xml file for Tomcat 4 is much more complicated than it's 3.2
counterpart, which I must admit is a bit beyond me.

We would be happy with having Tomcat service all of the files, regardless of
where they are (ie - JSP file on URL, hand it to Tomcat).

All suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!

Terry Beard