tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Maciej Ko³odziej <Maciej.Kolodz...@comarch.pl>
Subject Re: Problem with iso-8859-2 charset
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2002 16:16:43 GMT
Hi,

In Your mail sent Wednesday, January 02, 2002 I wrote:

MK> I'm  using  Tomcat 3.3 on Linux Debian unstable system. Everything was
MK> fine  until  I made an upgrade of the distribution. Now all iso-8859-2
MK> chars  are  returned  as  two-byte  values  (Unicode?),  and  I can see
MK> question  marks  and  squares  instead of letters. Does anyone have an
MK> idea what can it be? Configuration problem? Same jsp pages worked fine
MK> before the upgrade.

I found some new interesting information about this behavior:

First,  in  case  described  above,  if I choose Encoding->UTF-8 in my
browser everything looks  fine.
That means, that Tomcat(?) converts chars from iso-8859-2 in .jsp file
to  unicode on the server output. So setting the page charset to utf-8
in <meta> should work.

Second,  I  found,  that if I use a <bean:message .../> tag to insert
text  from  properties  file  and  the text contains polish characters
entered  in  unicode  (like \u0105) then the encoding on the output is
back iso-8859-2, so there is conversion, but in this case from Unicode
to iso-8859-2 (browser is set to iso-8859-2).

So  the problem is partially solved, because I can choose one of these
solutions  to get desirable result. But I'm just curious - what can be
the cause of that?

--
Best regards,
 Maciej