tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Anton Brazhnyk <a.brazh...@biconsulting.ws>
Subject Re: Confusing basic concept about apache-tomcat works.
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:11:57 GMT
Hi!

> I wonder what is the difference between using tomcat as stand alone web server
> and using tomcat as servlet/jsp engine and apache as web server ?

Tomcat is said to be not so quick and heavily tested as Apache
(especially in serving static resources).

> Can anyone tell me how can we sure that we have succeeded configuring tomcat-
> apache web server or how can we know that apache "really" do their job, not
> tomcat do it alone.
>
> What happen if client access this :
>
> http://myserver:8080/somecontext/something.jsp
>
> in the case :
>  1. tomcat and apache work together with tomcat in port 8080 and apache in port
> 80.
>  2. tomcat work as standalone web server in port 8080.
>
> Does the ":8080" means that the client directly serviced by something waiting
> in the port 8080 (in this case tomcat engine). if it is true, it means that
> tomcat work by himself to accept request, process and give response to client
> connecting to port 8080.

exactly

> How can we sure that apache get involved in this request ?

you can try:
http://myserver:80/somecontext/something.jsp
or just
http://myserver/somecontext/something.jsp

If you'll get what you wanted, you can shut the Tomcat (but not Apache) down
and try again. You should get something like 'Internal server error'

> Thank you.
>

> Kutipan Emir Alikadic <ealikadic@sympatico.ca>:

Best wishes!
Anton Brazhnyk