tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mauricio Nuñez <mnu...@maxmedia.cl>
Subject Re: Tomcat Stability
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:08:09 GMT
El Martes 15 Enero 2002 10:45, Laurent Féral-Pierssens escribió:
> Hi,
>
> We've been experiencing problems with stability recently. Every 2 weeks,
> Tomcat crashes with 500 errors. We now have more information about what
> happened the last time.
>
> Our configuration is:
> Tomcat 3.2.4 with Apache 1.3.20 and mod_jk
> Linux Debian, PIII 1 GHz, 512 Megs of RAM, Raid 1
>
> Basically there is only one webapp on the server that has a daily load of
> 40 000 Hits or 5 000 page views.
>
> In the logs of Apache we've discovered that someone was using Htdig to
> index the site, basically making one call every 5 sec for 45 minutes.
> That's were and when tomcat crashes.
>
> So my questions, should I ugrade the server's hardware? Would Tomcat 4
> series be more stable? or would it be just a tomcat configuration problem?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help and advice!
>
> Laurent

Hi.

I used a similar configuration, and migrating from Tomcat 3.2.4 to 3.3, I get
a much better performance.

Tips :

1) About Tomcat + Apache + Linux

Upgrade also the mod_jk to support chunked input.
Check the max_threads variable on /proc/sys/kernel/max_threads.  It's your
upper limit.
Then check the MaxClients variable in apache httpd.conf
Next, check the MaxThreads parameter of yout connector. This must to be
greater than the prev MaxClient.
MaxClient + MaxThreads must to be lesser than kernel max_threads.
Also, Tomcat 3.3 stable had a bug about the MaxTheads of the connector.
That's fixed in Tomcat 3.3.1-dev.

2) About JDK

Check your JDK. By default, max memory used for sun jdk is 64m. Try the -Xmx
variable , and try also the -Xms variable. Use the HotSpot Server option, and
Incremental garbage.
Try JRockit or TowerJ.

Example : ( TOMCAT_OPTS="-server -Xms256m -Xmx256m -Xincgc" )

3) Do benchmarking.

I'm using ab ( ApacheBench).
Check your kernel variables.
check and modify /proc/sys/vm/bdflush  ( At your risk ! :-)
use hdparm.

4)
Check http://www.volano.com/report
Check http://www.segel.com/10k
Check http://www.jlinux.org

I will publish a page with diferents tips or tricks and bechs

Bye