tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4.0.1 : What do these environmental variables mean?
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2002 16:04:56 GMT
From what I understand, CATALINA_BASE was designed to allow for multiple
instances of Tomcat 4 on one machine.  Each instance would have a separate
CATALINA_BASE directory containing a conf dir, server.xml, etc., ...
CATALINA_HOME is the directory containing stuff like the bin directory and
probably the server/lib and server/classes directories.

I haven't tried multiple Tomcats so I can't answer specific questions.

--David